June 19, 2006

What happens when you spend a Friday night with a gimp, 3 musicians, and 200 couples making out?

On Friday night Ms. Lucy (aka gimpy mcgimper) and I went to The El Rey (which had no air conditioning, we sweat profusely with 300 people and that's no fun). I call her gimpy because last weekend she fell skateboarding and hurt herself quite badly. Now she sports either a rainbow sling (she says it's to show support for her "gay" roommate) or a bright yellow one. Don't worry Luc I still think you're hot. The statement about supporting her "gay" roommate is a little untrue, I just like to tease her. We went to see Psapp, Juana Molina and Jose Gonzalez. This is the first concert I actually got tickets at the box office the night of the show. We were 4th in line and didn't even have to pay all the ridiculous charges brought on by Tickemaster. Yay. Psapp was good (The only thing unlikeable about them is their creepy obsession with cats). They played with toys and strange musical instruments. I usually like shows that either have handclaps or violin, they had both so I was happy. Juana Molina (from Buenos Aires, Argentina) was great. She knows how to grab an audience. She sings in Spanish and Lucy was happy because she felt she was back in Spain. Juana had high energy which prepared us for the wrist slitting that would occur when Jose Gonzalez took to stage. Don't get me wrong, I love sad bastard music, but it does get depressive (and that's coming from the spokesperson for Indie music). Jose didn't have much energy and talked much less than I anticipated. When you take the roll of singer/songwriter talking to the audience seems to be the first requirement for the job. Maybe after touring more he'll take this role and run with it. Come next year, he'll be amazing.


No comments: