March 17, 2007

another day in india

yesterday jenny and headed out to a local orphanage called SOS. It's about 30 minutes from where i'm staying, so there was alot of action to see in the streets. Motor bikes, ricksaws, and people with children in tow walking across busy and polluted streets. The orphanage was more like a housing compound. It has 125 children ranging from ages 1 to 18. Each house has 10 kids and one house mother who takes care of them. All houses provide a bed and a cubby per child and a kitchen for each home. They have a garden in back to grow there own food. It took much time to be able to see this, cause the man who runs the facility didn't want to lets look around or take pictures. Somehow jenny and I weasled our way in by saying i'm a student from american and i doing a project for class on orphanages in asia. I also told the manager that i would only be using these photos to project in class and for no other use. hehe. i'm qutie the little liar. It was an amazing elaborate story. Once in we met tons of children. They were animated and very excited to have there pictures taken. Happy Rachel! i only had time to shoot a couple rolls cause they had prayer time, but it was worth it. I can't wait to see them pictures. After getting home Jenny made a good old fashioned american italian meal. Lasagna. It was so delicious and tasted just like home. Today I walked around the house community again. This time with my digital camera, which has awesome cause they loved to see themselves. I had some problems cause the sun was so bright. I had to find as much shade as I could or in some cases use flash so there faces weren't black and completely in shadow. I was talking to them and walked around for about an hour. Now Jenny and I will head in to the city and walk around. I want to get some pashminas, so I'll write again soon.

No comments: