March 16, 2007

Greetings from India

Hey everyone,

I finally made it to India after 3 days of flying and a 24 hour layover in Amsterdam. Amsterdam was beautiful. The perfect weather (56 and clear skies). I walked around for hours exploring narrow streets, seeing the Van Gogh Museum, Anne Franks house and getting asked for directions (but trying to explain that i was an american and couldn't). I watched bikes race by and in that time almost got run over by the speeding metal (aka a bicycle). It was quite an embrassing moment. I tried so hard to blend in and look european, but once the bike incident occured they new my secret. I was a dumb FOREIGNER. After leaving Amsterdam I was on route to Hyderabad, India. On the plane there were only 4 "white" people. I of course was the youngest person flying solo, so this caused much conversation and many stares. The indian people came to ask who i was flying with and why "hyderabad" even after i answered all the questions on the list of why, they continued to stare the entire flight. I didn't mind thought. I just retreated to my ipod, my book (jesus' son...thanks nicole) and the inflatable pillow provided by celine. Upon arrival in hyderabad I went through customs and waited for over an hour at baggage claim for my luggage. My long time friend (those living in hyderabad) greeted me with a warm smile and a loud "rach." It was nice to hear the familar sounds of my name (since no one on the plane could pronounce it). My first day in india started late since i was feeling a bit sick from jetlag. Around 2 o' clock we headed out with jenny, a friend of hers (also an american) and jenny's driver. First stop was food. Jenny has been living here for 9 months with her husband, so she's over indian food. I told her i didn't care where we went so we ended up at Subway (yes the same as in the states). Not the same tasting though. Next we spend time at a beautiful marble temple where we had to take off our shoes and no cameras where allowed, i was sad cause the temple was amazing. It overlooked the entire city. I just had to take mental pictures. Jenny and I watched and medited in the silence of the bustling city. I was quite an experience. Today i walked around the housing community where jenny lives (a suburban neighborhood that looks much like calabasas). I will explain when I get home. Most of the commuity is being build, so there are workers all over. They where very excited to meet me and let me take pictures of them. They also wanted me to take pictures with them. I think I got some great portraits. Now I'm checking in with life and relaxing which is nice to do, cause I don't take time like this while at home. I need a nap so I'll right again soon.

-Rachel

1 comment:

carmensita said...

Jesus' Son is a great book!